Wednesday, November 12, 2008

My Love for Music - ramble




So you all saw my famous pic of me with my headphones and my eyes closed. That pic is the very essence of how I worship as well as how I listen to music. I love music I love the way it feels. Certain songs can make me go from being sad to happy or even vice versa. Certain songs place me to particular memory where I can remember every detail from the person's clothing to their scent.

I have been told by many that my long term memory is not as sharp as it used to. lol
I was known for pulling memory "cards" out of a hat but now I am able to do that for certain periods of my life.

There are certains songs that are attached to memories for me. I remember listening to Up on the TreeTop by the Jackson 5 in my old living room in Brooklyn at 5 years old. I was in my pj's decorating the tree and looking at my grandma's 8 track recorder system.
I was placing the angel ornaments on the Tree when one broke. I have more details to this memory but I won't bore you. LOL

But there is a period in my time in which I still cannot remember. I suffered from post-traumatic disorder so many memories I am still unable to recall. Also during that time I didn't listen too much music. I do believe that my lack of listening to music in that period contributed to my severe post-traumatic disorder. Or maybe vice versa, either way I don't remember much from that period. There are sections of my life which are still blurry to me. I have to have folks remind me about memories which I am still like I did that to whom? Really, are you sure I said that her? oh really!! Wow I am happy I forgot that!! LOL

During my pregnancy which is one of my best periods of my life .....many memories came back which remember of my love for music as my love for Jesus. I had went a lot with my son's father and I really saying to God I only have you now. I will trust in through out this period if you just give me a sign. My sign was a song which ignited my spiritual flame as well as my submission to Christ.

The song was secular but it gave me a memory of when I used to walk with Jesus literally. When he was hanging out with me on Hicks Street in Brooklyn and I only had him to appreciate the fall leaves crushing under my tan Timbs. Yall know I am bit Urban so stop laughing out loud but as the crushed fall leaves was underneath my Timbs, I was bopping my head to music and intaking the memories of the blue sky, the buildings, the mothers with their strollers.

That particular day, I was praising him for allowing me one more day on the earth. As my relationship grows stronger in Christ, those memories are easier to bear but also knowing that music appears with my memories are exciting as well.

No comments: